When selling a home there are several steps you should follow in order to ensure a smooth transaction. The below list will help you along the way in your journey towards selling your home and moving to your dream property!
- Find A Listing Agent – A listing agent will represent you throughout negotiations and have a fidicuary responsibility to look out for your best interests.
- Get Your Home Ready For Sale – Prepare your home for sale by cleaning, decluttering and improving curb appeal. You may consider hiring a professional stager to help stage your home or ask your Realtor for some tips. Additinally, make any repairs to your home so that it appears in perfect condition. If you have pets in your home, be sure to have a kennel available so that your pets do not interfere during showings.
- Figure Out How Much Your Home Is Worth – A seller’s biggest mistake is to be overpriced! Your Realtor will help you price your home based on current market conditions. A comparative market analysis, or CMA, will help you to determine your value based on recent sales in your area of comparable homes.
- Market Your Home – Your agent will create a marketing campaign to show off your house to the masses. This can include yard signs, printed brochures, internet marketing, and open houses.
- Showings – Your agent will place a lockbox on your house so that other agents can show your home. They will contact your office to setup appointments. Be sure your home is readily available in proper order so that showings have a great impact on the buyer. Your agent will get feeback from those who have shown your house to get an idea of what their clients thought. This feedback should be taken into consideration in possible changes to be made to the house.
- Negotiate Offers – When offers are made your agent will first ensure the potential buyer is pre-qualified to buy your home. If so, your agent will present the offer you, explaining all details such as contingencies, closings costs, deposit amount, etc. and help you determine if the offer is valid. Feel free to present a counteroffer if you feel the price is not what your home is worth, and begin negotiating a price.
- Prepare to Close – Once an offer has been accepted there will be several more steps to ensure the property sells. The property may need to be surveyed, inspected, appraised, and repairs may be needed. Depending on the contract you, the seller, may be required to pay for some, or all of the repairs. If there are problems with the home, depending on the contract, you or the buyer may walk away from the transaction without penalties.
- Closing – The closing is when your property is legally transferred to another party. Your agent should be at the closing to guide you through the needed steps to ensure everything goes smoothly and as planned. By attending your closing, your Realtor will help to mediate any last minute problems that may arise.