I can’t stress enough the importance of maintaining your home. If you are like me, life happens and there are other things that take precedence over home maintenance. Taking care of your home will save you money. If you don’t catch problems when they are minor, over time the problems turn into costly disasters.
Even if you don’t plan on staying in your home but for a couple of years, keeping up with the maintenance of your home will make the selling your home a much smoother process. When the home inspection is completed by potential buyers you may be in for a nice and expensive surprise when you have to make costly repairs because you didn’t maintain your investment. If you take care of things sooner, the less it will cost you.
The problem with home maintenance is remembering to do it. Even with a home maintenance checklist, you may start out with good intentions only to discover that list several years later covered in dust behind your desk with the first 3 items checked off. One great idea I recently came across is from lifehacker.com. You will find a checklist that ties into Google Calendar which you can then set up to receive reminders on your phone.
If you don’t use a checklist or the calendar above then at the least schedule to do these 5 things this month. You will thank me later.
- Inspect your roof for damage, leaks, and missing shingles. Here is a roof inspection checklist as well as information on easy repairs and when to hire a professional.
- A quick way to save money on your heating bill this winter is to check caulking around windows and add weatherstripping to your windows and doors.
- Inspect your attic for proper insulation, leaks, and hiding rodents. To know if your attic is insulated properly as well as what to look for, click here.
- Vacuum and clean your refrigerator coils. Built up dust on the coils causes the cooling system to be less effective. Check out this how-to video.
- Drain your hot water heater to get rid of sediment. This will ensure a longer life for your hot water heater and prevent problems caused from build-up. Check out this video and step-by-step instructions.
If you are looking to buy or sell a home in the Lake Conroe or surrounding areas or looking for a realtor in any other location drop me an email.